Thursday, August 6, 2009

Mid-Summer Review

Greetings from August 6, 2009. Things here are going well. Recently, we held a very productive Board of Education retreat. We were able to establish that while we are incredibly proud of the success of our students, we can and will do more for our "at-risk" students as well as for our students with disabilities. In order to be true to myself, making sure that as a District we are always reaching ALL of our students is a top priority.

As a result, we may be adjusting some programming and philosophies to better accommodate children who need something beyond the traditional instructional methods. Stay tuned to future Board meetings and blog updates as we begin this exciting new chapter.

On another exciting front, we are beginning to partner with a company called LiveSportsVideo.com. This partnership will allow us to broadcast our athletic, fine arts, and award assemblies live on the Internet. As a neat twist, we are going to partner with a local university (details and official announcement forthcoming) and begin to offer broadcasting to students who want to become commentators for our live broadcasts. How cool is that?

Operationally, we are still trying to find ways to make traffic flow and parking at the high school as efficient as possible. We have found a way to possibly add about 50 parking spots which should help, and we have also changed the way that our buses line up and that should provide for a better flow as well. The main problem is space and changing that at this point is out of our hands. I do think that people will be happier with the whole setup when school starts.

We are also completing installation of our interactive boards. By the second half of the school year, every classroom will have the capability to deliver instruction with the newest techniques available. I think the students will be excited, and I am looking forward to visiting the classrooms.

Personally, things are going pretty well. Aside from work, I have been able to find some time to play with my kids, enjoy time with my wife, and start my diet plan. I will say that eating well and trying to lose weight makes me cranky, but I should be in tip-top shape for the Race for Respect!

I will be taking a short break from posting and will begin weekly posts again by mid-August. In the meantime, you should consider creating an account on twitter.com and following me at cbrownwgcsd. Twitter allows me to give you frequent updates about happenings in our school and elsewhere. I also intend to use Twitter to communicate snow days and closings in conjunction with the media being contacted, so if you are signed up you will know right after my own kids do!

Take care and talk to you soon.
Chris