Sunday, April 24, 2011

Welcome Back

If you were fortunate enough to get out of town for a few days over the Spring break, congratulations! For those who stayed here it was more of the same: cold, rain, some snow, and mostly cloudy skies. For all of these April showers there better be some State Fair prize winning May flowers ahead!

I am often asked why our sports teams have games or tournaments over the break periods. Good question. I am absolutely not in favor of practices or games over our break periods, but I am just one voice out of a few dozen in the county athletic organization. I have been a coach so I know exactly what it is like to have to practice and have tournaments over Thanksgiving, Winter, mid-Winter, and Spring break. My feeling is that the students, parents, and even coaches need some family time. I also understand that we do have scholarship level athletes in our organization so if we HAVE to play then all hands need to be on deck because winning is an important part of exposure especially at the varsity level.

I will continue to advocate for a true break in each of my future years as superintendent.  The Syracuse University football program recognizes Spring break and they are full of scholarship level athletes in a multi-million dollar program, for example.  Maybe this will be an area where the budget woes will actually help us.

Do not blink between now and the end of the year or you will miss something. There are fewer than thirty class days left before final exams. We have all kinds of recognition ceremonies, parades, concerts, Board meetings, budget presentations, and sports in the days and weeks ahead. The weather will also finally be breaking so the temptation for all of us to just stay home and sit on the deck will be there as well. 

I will be presenting the school budget during the next few weeks at various locations. I am closely watching budget action (or lack thereof) at the state level and will be sure to incorporate any last minute state budget changes into our own budgeting for next school year.

Have a great week and I will be sure to reach out again soon-

Chris