Monday, March 26, 2012

Got Some Culture!

One of my favorite weekends of the year is Culture Fair weekend and this one did not disappoint. On Saturday the high school became a blending of worlds and cultures as dozens of different countries and backgrounds were celebrated. There were all kinds of foods, and I could not help but stray from my diet a bit. I know that the Italy station went through nine pounds of meatballs in the first hour!  Thank you to all who were involved in making this annual day a complete success!

The night before, I had a chance to play basketball with staff members from the high school. We played against the students in an event known as Hoops for Hope. We all had a lot of fun, and thanks to some crafty scoreboard work, the staff won.

A reflection of the event caused me to realize that nearly every subject was taught or displayed. The Fine Arts program was represented with the singing of the National Anthem, Mr. Newvine taught us some English by sharing some new vocabulary words as the announcer, and the kids taught me some Math by converting my shooting skills from a fraction to a percent (closer to 0% than I would like to admit). The game itself was the Physical Education, History repeated itself with a staff victory, and we even hit on some Business because when Mr. Hallinan shot three's, the bank was open. Again thanks to all staff, students, and the community for making it a very enjoyable night.

This week will be pretty busy as well. There is the National Honor Society induction, a C.O.D.E. graduation, and I get to see the MythBusters Tour. Have a great week!

Chris