Monday, February 26, 2018

Welcome Back!

I hope that all of you had a great break. I am excited to have students and staff back at school because it gets pretty lonely and heavy with desk work for me during breaks when no one else is here!

The end of the week was a bit of an emotional roller coaster. In 24 hours we buried my favorite uncle and then turned around and celebrated a wedding for a relative. I did meet a "Most Interesting Man in the World" candidate at the wedding, however. In attendance was a guy named Richard Bird. He is in his 70's now but "back in the day" he was in the Guinness Book of World Records for running the most marathons in a year, 71 to be exact. Of course, I had to "Google" him and learned that aside from the world record, he led a very interesting life. Cool!

Recognition for School Safety: The beginning of break was pretty rewarding when we learned that we received Titanium with Honors level recognition for the annual Utica National School Safety Excellence Award program. The checklist is about sixty pages when completed and includes every facet of school safety including plans, training, inventories, committee work, emergency communication, and low "risk" exposure. We will receive the award officially at a ceremony later this spring. Congratulations to all involved in helping us reach this goal.

Updates on Competitions: Congratulations to the Academic Decathlon Team. They finished third overall in the New York State Championship and had an enjoyable season overall.

Our Lady Wildcats Basketball Team is capitalizing on hard work, dedication, and momentum. They defeated Baldwinsville last night at SRC arena and are now headed to the Section 3 Championship on Friday, March 2, at 8:00 p.m. at the Carrier Dome. Good luck to them!

Next weekend is busy with the Culture Fair from 12:00-3:00 p.m. at the high school on Saturday, March 3. Girls Cheerleading and track athletes are competing for a New York State Championship.

Listening Sessions: This week is busy for me as well with lots of listening. I am meeting with class officers and student council representatives on Tuesday; the Board of Education and community members Wednesday night at our special Board meeting/forum; employees during my building visits; and our District Safety Team. I expect good conversations.

I am also going to be circling the wagons around my Wildcat family this week. You may be used to me giving a sound byte or interview and I do so to control our message. I have already done that and now it is time for me to work with our people, and do the things I have said we are going to do.

Thanks for your continued support and have a great week!

Chris