Friday, March 20, 2009

Moving Right Along

It took me until I was probably in my early thirties to recognize that my playing days are over in just about every sport except maybe golf. It was then that I realized that sports, fine arts, and State Fair Expo's are as much about taking our minds off of our real lives as they are about winners, losers, and Sham Wow's. With this in mind, I promise you that while I did fill out an NCAA bracket and will be following the Orange to an NCAA Championship (hopefully), I will still be doing my work!

Since my last post we have had another whirlwind of activity. Spring sports are in full swing, it was still light out when I left a concert the other night, and I am seeing award nights on my calendar and that can only mean one thing; a snap of your fingers until the end of the school year.

Thanks to those who attended my first budget presentation. I am always nervous until I say the first word and then it kind of flows from there. A copy of the presentation is on our website at http://www.westgenesee.org/teacherpage.cfm?teacher=1556 and I am also going to have a "movie" of the presentation uploaded as well, as soon as I figure out a way to keep my forehead from shining on camera.

To give you a very brief synopsis, the worst case scenario (and I always work in worst case scenarios) will be a .46% budget increase, a 2.15% Tax Levy, and a 1.7% tax rate. What this means is that if you have a home valued at $100,000 in the Town of Camillus you will pay $24.98 more that you paid in school taxes this year. Again, please view the whole presentation and in about 10 minutes you will know all of the details behind the numbers.

We are also extremely proud of our high school Academic Decathlon students. They placed second in the state behind an established Cazenovia club. Our students also brought home 22 medals! Way to go.

All for now. Enjoy your weekend.

Chris