Monday, May 5, 2014

Dance the Night Away

Dance the Night Away at the Junior Prom: My wife and I had a wonderful time at the junior prom over the weekend. This particular class is very close, and it was wonderful to see all of the students dancing together to several of the songs. There were over 400 students in attendance, and we are very fortunate to have the students we have. It was a special night, and I am now looking forward to the senior ball on May 16!

Working Together to Help Students: I was very humbled to be asked to be the keynote speaker over the weekend at the Central Region PTA Spring Conference. I spent my time talking about how necessary it is for all of us to work together to help students become whatever they want to do after they graduate from high school. I also mentioned the importance of communication, transparency, and building a system that can still function at a high level even if there are changes in leadership.  It was a great time, and I would be more than happy to speak there again.

Blog Post Draws My Attention: Last week there was a blog that I read that really drew my ire. The Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan, wrote a post about schools conducting a college signing day as a best practice, with the intent of the signing day to motivate other students to want to go to college (http://www.ed.gov/blog/2014/02/the-case-for-college-signing-days/).  On the surface that sounds like a pretty generic and harmless idea.

However, if you think about it further and follow the logic, then students with disabilities that prevent them from going to college, those entering the workforce, military, or a trade are being rated lower than those going to college. When do we celebrate their successes or challenges following his logic? We don't, and I have a real problem with that.

College is a great choice and was required for me to get where I am today, but it isn't for everyone. Schools exist to prepare students for life after high school and there are MANY different options out there. I thought it was a poor article and a narrow idea from such a bright and influential person. I am over it now.

Another busy week ahead. Some sun would be nice and maybe even some temperatures over 60, but I might be asking too much!

Have a great week-

Chris