Friday, June 4, 2010

The Bizarre and Unexpected

This is the time of the year when our kids might do some squirrely things. Final exams, oncoming summer jobs, the possibility of summer school for some, graduation, and just plain work load can stress kids out.  Don't be surprised if your child chooses the next few weeks to show you a different side. Managing this can be equally difficult for parents and staff alike. The best advice I can give is to take a deep breath, assess the behavior, deliver a firm, fair, and consistent consequence, and move on. My experiences tell me that making more of these types of goofy situations, make future goofy situations worse. You can also encourage your child to get sleep, eat well, and try to exercise, even if it means walking the dog around the block. In 17 years of being in this business, I can honestly say that I have always seen some new situation arise during this time of the year!

This weekend will be incredibly busy. The music awards will be held on Friday night, boys and girls lacrosse as well as boys golf all square off this weekend, and I wish them the best of luck. 

Have a great weekend and talk to you next week.