Monday, June 14, 2010

New Week

In the 17 years that I have been involved in education this has probably been my most enjoyable year. We have done some really great things, all while a state budget spirals out of control. Our community has been incredibly supportive, our students have performed exceptionally well, and we have grown closer togetheras a staff.

Personally, I got to do some really cool things. I got to attend the White House Correspondent's Dinner in Washington, DC where I was in the same room as the President of the United States and hundreds of famous people. I also got a chance to meet Gerry McNamara, who to me exemplifies leadership in an athlete, and last week I got a chance to play "PIG" against Kris Joseph when he visited Stonehedge Elementary School. (I actually played well enough that he felt that he had to dunk on me to win!)

Our Lady Wildcats fought hard over the weekend and came up just shy of a trip to the state lacrosse championship. They battled through two overtimes and lost in what is called "sudden victory", which is the new politically correct term for "sudden death". The loss didn't bother me and shouldn't bother you either. We are in a culture where sports is all about winning, and you aren't going to find a more competitive person than me. However, this particular group of young women demonstrated character, poise, and drive during this entire season. The senior leadership was unbelievable, and they will be ready for whatever challenges life gives to them. 

Graduation was a very special event as well. I personally enjoyed myself more this year than last year because I had a relationship with many more students than last year so it was nice to know the students who I was shaking hands with. Congratulations to our graduates!

Exams, field days, exams, and more exams! Have a great week.